- Practice Areas
Possession of Methamphetamine
Possession of Methamphetamine:
Possession of Methamphetamine is described by IC 35-48-4-6.1 which states that anyone, whom does not have a valid prescription therefore, who knowingly or intentionally possesses meth (whether pure or impure) can be found guilty of a Level 6 felony.
Methamphetamine is a powerful, highly addictive synthetic stimulant that targets the central nervous system. Known on the streets as meth, chalk, ice, or crystal, the drug appears as a white, odorless, bitter-tasting powder that dissolves easily in water or alcohol. Like amphetamine, meth produces a pleasant sense of euphoria but is much more powerful, longer lasting and more damaging to the central nervous system.
How much time will I be facing?
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has classified methamphetamine as a Schedule II stimulant, so that it is only available legally through a no refillable prescription. The penalties for possession of meth are:
- Level 6 felony — Less than three grams is punishable by six months to 2.5 years in jail and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 5 felony — If the amount is at least three but less than 10 grams or less than 3 grams and was committed in a protected zone such as on a school bus or within 500 feet of a school, park, family housing complex, or youth center, the offense is punishable by one to six years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 4 felony — If the amount is between 10 and 28 grams, or between three and 10 grams in a protected zone, the offense is punishable by two to 12 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Level 3 felony — If the amount is 28 grams or more, or between 10 and 28 grams in a protected zone, the offense is punishable by three to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
Most enhancements involving possessing meth deal with possession with children present, possession in a school, park, youth center, or housing complex.
If you or a loved one are facing a criminal arrest for possession in methamphetamine, Vanderpool Law Firm, PC provides strong defense representation. We have assisted numerous clients in Kosciusko, Wabash and several other counties. Give us a call or use our contact us form for a consultation today!
Contact Us Now for a Consultation!
- Warsaw Office: (574) 268-9995
- Wabash Office: (877) 741-4827